terminfo, termcap, etc

nelsons at psu-cs.UUCP nelsons at psu-cs.UUCP
Fri May 23 05:59:37 AEST 1986

> in an already-parsed binary file?  I find terminfo a huge step forwards
> in design.

> Give me a break.  The format is documented and easy to parse, and anyway,
> with SVR3 you get the infocmp(1) program, which dumps a terminfo entry
> in a form suitable for editing and recompiling via tic(1).  What the
> hell more do you want?  And my 5620 terminfo entry works fine (I'm using
> it right now).

> $ infocmp >file; ed file; tic file
> Real difficult.  Terminfo just beats the pants off termcap;
> the sooner termcap disappears the better.
> --
> 						Michael Baldwin
> 			(not the opinions of)	AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 						{at&t}!whuxl!mike

FLAME ON:

Unfortunately, not all of us happen to have SVR3, nor do we have
infocmp(1) or anything similar.  But that's not my biggest beef
with tic(1).

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but when tic(1) is
fed a file it doesn't like, it very quietly *unlinks everything under
/usr/lib/terminfo*!!  I do *not* like having to clean up after tic
throws up on my filesystem, and I definitly do not consider that a
"huge step forward in design".

Flame off.

By the way, if anyone can send me an untic program, I would be
much obliged...

				Shannon Nelson
				Portland State University
				Portland, OR