remembered directories

chris at mimsy.UUCP chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sat Feb 14 13:47:29 AEST 1987

In article <1014 at valid.UUCP> markp at valid.UUCP (Mark P.) writes:
>I have found it useful to be able to attach symbolic names to certain
>directories during a session ...
>
>	alias m 'set zz\!*=$cwd'

I leave out the `z's,

	alias mark 'set \!:1=$cwd'

so as to use a feature of the C shell:

	mark here
	cd here

One need not even type `$here'.  If a directory does not exist, csh
tries searching its `cdpath', then tries evaluating the name as a
variable!

(I generally use pushd and popd to store directory names; `mark' is
more useful with commands that need to look in two different paths,
and here `$here' is necessary anyway.  Ah well.)
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu