timed

mike at BRL.ARPA mike at BRL.ARPA
Mon Feb 23 08:36:34 AEST 1987

Did anybody know that on 4.3 BSD, when timed is started with the -M
flag, but it is not running as the master, that it holds open a
socket listening for ICMP messages, yet it neglects to read them?

On a system that uses PING for testing, etc, this can result in
a great many MBUFs being nailed down and ignored (several hundred
in this afternoon's debacle)?  This isn't enormously harmful, unless
you are running low on MBUFs, but can be a surprising bit of behavior.

I dont' have a fix, and I'm not planning on working on one.

I did, however, modify Phil's PMON program to trace the quantity of I/O
buffered in sockets, which is very interesting indeed.
	Best,
	 -Mike