UUCP Port Turnaround (==> Unix Kernel hacks)

jbs at mit-eddie.UUCP jbs at mit-eddie.UUCP
Fri Feb 20 07:36:47 AEST 1987

In article <395 at stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim at cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>I recall someone from CMU saying
>that their development kernel had a 700K text segment!
>
>The MACH kernel source might be prettier, but can we afford the extra core
>needed to run it? :-)

4Mbytes of MicroVAX memory is available for well under $2K.  Memory
prices for other systems are likely to be similar.

While large size may be interpreted (correctly or incorrectly) as poor
design, arguing against something because of its size (measured in K
bytes) seems silly, especially when additional (useful) features (like
improved maintainability) are involved.

Jeff Siegal