\"special\" shells a security hole?

mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sat Feb 21 00:17:16 AEST 1987

In article <2590002 at hpisod2.HP>, decot at hpisod2.HP (Dave Decot) writes:
> As long as it [a special `shell' with an escape to a real shell]
> doesn't run such programs as more(1) or ex(1), either, since they can
> be used to get someplace where a shell escape is available.

Except that the shell escaped to would be a copy of the special shell,
no?  This is certainly the case here with one program we have.  We have
an Ultrix system, which has a program dlogin to perform remote logins
over DECnet (don't ask why we're running DECnet, you don't want to
know).  We wanted a pseudo-user which just prompted for a hostname and
ran dlogin.  However, dlogin has a shell escape.  But when it's used,
all you get is another hostname prompt!

> In general, the fewer outside programs the application permits the
> user to use, the more secure such applications are.

This is pretty tough to argue with.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse at harvard.harvard.edu