UUCP Port Turnaround

jc at piaget.UUCP jc at piaget.UUCP
Tue Feb 10 04:11:14 AEST 1987

In article <4090 at nsc.nsc.com> jon at nsc.UUCP (Jon Ryshpan) writes:
 >Does anyone know a simple method to "turn a port around" so as to
 >make an outgoing call on a port which is usually used for incoming
 >connections?  I can imagine a messy shell script (run by root) to kill
 >the getty, make the call, and restore the getty.  Has anyone written
 >such a script?  Is there a better way?  How do you handle problems, if
 >any, with the modem?  (We are currently using Hayes Smartmodems.)
 >
 >Please reply by mail.  If anything interesting appears, I will
 >summarize, probably to Net.sources.
 >
 >Thanks:

HDB uucp permits this.  A separate getty (uugetty) is fired up
for such lines.  Uugetty locks the port with a lock file.  I do
not know the mechanism for making uugetty unconcious but I
presume that a signal is used.  When uucico is done with all uucp
transactions (or when cu/tip exit) they inform uugetty (or init
and again presumably via a signal) that they are done and uugetty
does its thing.  Lock files are used heavily in this
implementation.

The concept of a separate getty for bidirectional lines is a good
one and seems to work pretty well.  I am given to understand that
BSD also has this feature.

--
John Cornelius
(...!sdcsvax!piaget!jc)