Why can't mail have unpost command

clive at druhi.UUCP clive at druhi.UUCP
Sat Feb 21 08:29:37 AEST 1987

Really.

Isn't this the usual acolytes circling like moths around the flame of the
eternal Operating System (and utilities-that-come-attached-to-it)?

It's very simple.  Of course there could be an 'unmail' command.

It would work (in the user's view) like 'cancel' does in netnews.

Go out and remove the most recent mailing (if any) from the unmailer,
in the receiver's /usr/mail spoolfile.  A good implementation would send
the removal back, so the unmailer could be sure he got the right one.

This seems stupendously easy.

All of us, yes, even the initiated, could use it at times.

I cross-posted this to wizards, so we can be sure to hear whether
there's something inherantly unsanitary about this.

Maybe, someone who can put it in distributions, will be interested in
providing the feature....

Free Fame.

And you get to be the one to decide if it's just an option on the mail
command line, like -r....

Your very own user interface.