su modifications posted to net.sources

baccala at USNA.arpa baccala at USNA.arpa
Sat Feb 7 13:01:33 AEST 1987

I take objection to being able to su without a password.  I feel that NOONE
should be able to su without a password.  The reason is simple - most people
have .rhosts.  Root can't, and shouldn't.  If root is cracked on machine A,
and hacker B on machine C shares rhosts with A and is an su_person on C, the
villins have root on C.  No network is *really* secure, and the best way to
ensure security is through people - the guy on the other end of that line
has to know the password no mattter WHO he says he is.

Diclaimer:  I'm a fanatic when it comes to security.

			- BRENT W. BACCALA -
			Computer Aided Design/Interactive Graphics
			U.S. Naval Academy
			Annapolis, MD

			<decvax!brl-smoke!usna!baccala>
			<seismo!usna!baccala>