Time for 64-bit longs?

aglew at ccvaxa.UUCP aglew at ccvaxa.UUCP
Wed Feb 11 09:35:00 AEST 1987

> And will the future 128-byte pointer be a "long long long" ?

This just points out the stupidity of declaring the range of an
integer value through words rather than numbers.

If you really need 32, 64, or 128 bits, a decent language would let
you say int range (-2^32, 2^32-1), or int range (-2E9,+2E9), and choose
the appropriate type for you. Maybe int range(32b).

The confusion about "long" is just like the confusion about "billion"
and "milliard". I can never remember if I'm thinking British or American,
so I just say "E9" or "E12".

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew at gswd-vms.arpa