SYSTEM V R2 on a PDP-11/84?

bill at LOGICON.arpa bill at LOGICON.arpa
Fri Feb 13 03:44:30 AEST 1987

I am trying to get SYSTEM V R2 to run on a PDP-11/84, I've succeeded to
some degree, it runs in single-user mode, but can not get it to go
multi-user or to do anything very useful, like recompile the kernel.
Whenever I try to do either of those things the system dies with an
error in swap.  I've put a bunch of debug code in the swap routine, and
it seems to work quite well in getting the system up in single-user,
and doing trivial things like directory listings and such.  To
complicate matters further the system uses an Emulex SC31 controller
with CDC9710's doing an rp emulation.  Has anyone else gotten this
release to run on an 11/84?  I have heard about Uniq, and that they
have this running, but there isn't any funding available for using
them.

I have tried adding code to the hp driver to use the UMRs and setting
the "enable address relocation" bit in MMR3, but this hasn't helped, I
don't even get to single-user mode that way, the system just hangs.

					Thanks,
					Bill D'Camp
_   /|
\`o_O'
  ( )  Aachk! Phft!

(Serious self portrait?)

Opinions?  I thought you said onions!

ARPA; bill at logicon.arpa
UUCP: {akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd