How do you manage multiple /etc/passwd files?

zemon at felix.UUCP zemon at felix.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 09:10:29 AEST 1987

For the curious amoung you, I only got two mail responses
to my original query.  Apparently no one has come up with a
magic way to solve this problem.  I'll probably do it by
writing a little daemon which poses as /bin/passwd,
forwards the new password to Felix, and lets Felix
redistribute the entire password file to the other machines
at FileNet.  Well, maybe not the entire file....

As for whether the same password should be allowed on
multiple machines:  For FileNet that is a non-issue.  All
of our machines are "equivalent" in /etc/hosts.equiv.  Once
you log into any machine you can rlogin to the rest without
a new password.  Furthermore, with the Micom data switch,
any terminal can get to any machine.  Finally, our users
don't want to enter passwords over and over again as they
hop between machines.  I imagine most of you folks arguing
about this also have policies which evolved to suit your
local needs and are unlikely to change them.

Cheers,

--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation