uuslave.c (Help with UUCP protocol)

Robert Hamilton rh at cs.paisley.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 19:37:26 AEST 1987

In article <1040 at sigma.UUCP> bill at sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:

>It is *not* written for BDS C. I have been studying it for a bit and have
>resolved pretty much everything EXCEPT the "inita/initb,initc" part of
>the protocol. It appears that there may be some information exchanged in
>this part of the protocol, but there is insufficient information on what
>this might be. (It's also possible that this part of the protocol is
>bogus). Can any UUCP experts out there enlighten me/us?

We've been playing with uuslave. It is a crafty little bit of code.
It condenses a lot of the usual uucp code to give a prog. that
will run on almost anything and allow uucp file copies and *mail*
transfers. So far its run on BBC's and ATARI ST's

The only system dependant bits are:
(1) opening the serial port, setting it to RAW mode no ECHO and
    8 bits (thats where the inita stuff comes in)
    In most micros you can just open it. (fdtty=open("rs423:",3) or sim.)
(2) the read and write code (xgetc() and xputc())
    xgetx() is tricky in that it should timeout after 10 seconds
    if it doesn't get a char. You can use polling if you don't have signal()
    But in fact it will work most of the time without a timeout.

JANET:  rh at uk.ac.paisley.cs
EMAIL:	rh at cs.paisley.ac.uk		| Post: Systems manager.
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!paisley!rh	|	Department of Computing,
Phone:	+44 41 887 1241 Ext. 219	|	Paisley College