Not enough core: how to cure?

badri at ur-valhalla.UUCP badri at ur-valhalla.UUCP
Sat Feb 14 07:00:54 AEST 1987

I posted this question sometime back but did not get a single reply, so
either something got screwed up or this newsgroup is read by a bunch
of heartless twerps!

We run BSD 4.2 on a VAX 11/750 with 2M core and 16M swap space.
We have a some software written in fortran77, that has hardwired
array sizes in it. We do not want to rewrite the code for dynamic
memory management right now, though it will be done eventually. The
problem is that when the array sizes exceed some value, we get a
message "Not enough core". By playing around with array sizes, I have
the following details from /bin/size:
Wire1 (Works)
text	data	bss	dec	hex
384000	66560	6071296	6521856	638400
Wire2 (Does not work)
text	data	bss	dec	hex
384000	66560	6988076	7438636	71812c

By putting debug messages in the kernel (auuugh!), I have narrowed the
problem down to the following:
ctod(ds) = 12906 exceeds maxdmap = 12256 in /sys/machine/vm_machdep.c

Does someone know if there are kernel parameters that can
be tweaked to get around this problem? I know that I am not directly
exceeding the hardlimits MAXTSIZE, MAXDSIZE or MAXSSIZE.
If there are any, I would like to know the consequent side effects of
changing them.

Thank you,
Badri Lokanathan
"We will fight for the right to be free {) ur-valhalla!badri at rochester.arpa
 We will build our own society         //\\ {ames,caip,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,
 And we will sing, we will sing       ///\\\ harvard,ll-xn,rutgers,seismo,
 We will sing our own song."  -UB40    _||_  topaz}!rochester!ur-valhalla!badri