Unix System V.3 (3B2) 0410 Object Support

df at nud.UUCP df at nud.UUCP
Sat Feb 28 04:32:43 AEST 1987

In article <831 at sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> campbell at sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mark Campbell) writes:
>Looking through the 3B2 V.3 code, it appears to me that there exists a bug in
>the handling of 0410 files (note: I realize that these are not the default).
>If a 0410 file were exec'ed that had a text (or data) size that was larger
>than physical memory but smaller than the swap space the exec would "hang"
>forever.  This is due to the fact that the entire appropo section of the file
>is read in at once in the kernel via "readi()".

This is NOT a problem if while "faulting in" pages during readi(), you
allow previously read in pages to be "paged out" via the vhand or sched
processes.  I'm pretty sure that's the way it works on the 3B2; it does
work that way on System V/68 R3V1, our 68020/68851 port of the 3B2 code.

-Dale

--
Dale Farnsworth (NO7K)			seismo!noao!mcdsun!nud!df
(602)438-5739				ihnp4!mot!nud!df