Autologout of unused terminals

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Dec 1 14:35:17 AEST 1988

In article <826 at starfish.Convergent.COM> cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>To back up my system, I do an su, followed by /etc/backup&, then exit.
>As long as I stay logged in as a normal user, the script continues.
>If I log out, the script is aborted.

SysV has nohup to allow logging out without killing the running program:
  nohup /etc/backup &
Some versions automatically redirect output to nohup.out if it is not
otherwise redirected from the terminal.

Or you could use "at now" which will mail any output to you.
Neither is very useful if there is any chance that you will be prompted
for new media.

Les Mikesell