cat -u

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Dec 11 15:18:29 AEST 1988

In article <146 at minya.UUCP> jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>What ever happened to the original Unix Philosophy of lots of little
>programs, each of which did exactly one job well, and which could be
>fitted together to do bigger jobs?  I've noticed that lots of people
>seem to dislike this approach, but I've yet to see any cogent argument
>against it.

In the standard shell environment, it's obviously the best approach.
The only technical argument I know of is that if too many processes
have to be invoked simultaneously to get a task done, some system or
user limit may be exceeded.  I have almost never run into this in
practice, however.

In a Macintosh-like environment, the situation is radically different,
because there is no good way to combine independent processes into a
larger unit.  This frustrates the heck out of me when I'm using those
systems!  In such an awful environment, so-called "integrated
applications" with maximal number of imbedded features are practically
required to get the job done.  Of course, one useful integrated
application would be a UNIXy shell with pipes and a bunch of basic
UNIXy utilities.  So much for the icon interface.