Wanted: Intelligent getty program for SYS V

Rick Kimball rick at kimbal.UUCP
Sun Dec 11 23:27:39 AEST 1988

I'm in search of the source code to an intelligent getty.
Before I run off half-cocked and write my own, I thought
I'd query the net to see if someone has already done it.

Here is my wish list for the "perfect" getty. It should:

    o   Work well with intelligent modems
        o   Perform speed recognition & auto bauding -
            It should recognize that the phone is ringing
            and log that fact.  Determine what speed the
            caller connected with the modem by reading the
            modem responses and then properly set the port
            for that speed. (no breaks needed)

    o   Handle the login process
        o   Validate login id and passwd.
        o   Log invalid attempts
        o   Set the user environment HOME, MAIL etc...

    o   Allow initialization of the modem each time the Carrier
        is dropped using any of the following [string|file|program].

        I would like to be able to send a string like
        "ATZ\r", or maybe a file containing an sequence
        of commands.  Even better, I'd like to be able
        to specify a program name that will handle the
        initialization.

    o   Allow for an alternate login prompt to be displayed using any
        of the following [string|file|program]

    o   Provide dial in/out on same line.
        Probably what I need is a wrapper proram that
        will work with uucp, cu, etc...  It could
        communicate with the getty program and let it know
        when to stop and start.

    o   Work in a System V environment on a UNIX-PC
        This is the most important item of all.

Have I missed anything?  I'm aware of "uutty" and it's
almost exactly what I want.  But ...

Thanks in advance.