Echo

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Sat Dec 3 07:27:34 AEST 1988

In article <1264 at vsedev.VSE.COM> logan at vsedev.VSE.COM (James Logan III) writes:

| You should write a shell-script that is called by your makefile
| to test the echo in /bin and see which version is already
| installed.

ksh seems to check for the first echo on the PATH rather than the one in
/bin. On SunOS if you are running a SysV interface the echo builtin
works like SysV, while in the BSD mode it looks like V7.

That seems like a better way to me, although using an environment
variable would be acceptable. Not all users on a given machine want the
same behavior.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)