invisible to who(1)

Gerhard Fleischanderl gfl at tuhold
Wed Dec 28 21:19:23 AEST 1988

On a dial-in line at a MicroVAX-II (Ultrix 2.0), we encounter
a strange phenomenon:
A login on this line (tty03) is not recognized by who(1) nor finger(1).
However, the login-shell is shown for TTY 03 by ps(1).

There is a hard link between /dev/tty03 and /dev/ttyd0. At the next login,
ttyd0 is reported as name of the terminal-line with "Last login: ...".
Furthermore, a DIALUP is recorded for ttyd0 in the syslog-file.

who(1) had worked correctly before ttyd0 has been created (renamed from
tty03 by uucpsetup(8), manually installed as a hard-link to tty03).
If /dev/ttyd0 is renamed, everything works fine again. ("Last login:"
reports tty03, there is nothing recorded to the syslog-file.)

Does Ultrix handle a device with name "ttyd0" in a special way?
This "invisible login" isn't threatening, nevertheless we want to fix it.
Any comments are welcome.

Gerhard Fleischanderl

Databases and Expert Systems Subdivision, Technical University Vienna
Paniglgasse 16,  A-1040 Vienna,  Austria
e-mail (UUCP): ...!mcvax!tuvie!tuhold!gfl