This is strange...

M. Capron mcapron at ektools.UUCP
Fri Dec 23 02:19:24 AEST 1988

Here is some bizareness I found.  Below is a subset of a Bourne Shell script I
am writing on a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 4.0.  This segment generates dependency
lists for makefiles.  Note that the egrep brackets should contain a space and
a tab.

#!/bin/sh
for i in *.c
do
#Place a list of include files in $incs seperated by spaces.
#CODE A or CODE B goes here.
	echo "$i : $incs"
done

CODE A: This works.
incs=`egrep '^#[         ]*include[     ]*"' $i | awk '{printf "%s ", $2}'`
incs=`echo "$incs" | sed 's/"//g'`

CODE B: This does not work.
incs=`egrep '^#[         ]*include[     ]*"' $i | awk '{printf "%s ", $2}' | sed 's/"//g'`

With CODE B, $incs comes out to be nil.  I can't figure out what the difference
is, nor do I have the patience to play with it any furthing.  I present it as an
oddity to any interested parties.

					Sincerely,
					Mike Capron

capron at chiron.UUCP