find: ctime & mtime

Andrew Koenig ark at alice.UUCP
Wed Dec 21 00:22:36 AEST 1988

In article <388 at hrc.UUCP>, dan at hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel VP) writes:

> What is the difference of the find options ctime and mtime?

mtime is the last time the file was changed;
ctime is the last time the file's inode was changed.
Among the operations that will change the inode of a file
without changing the file are adding or deleting a link.
Thus, for example, renaming a file will change ctime but not mtime.

> Should I use atime, to be safe, when I do incremental backups every night?

ctime is almost surely best.
--
				--Andrew Koenig
				  ark at europa.att.com