Protecting Password Files

Patrick Townson ptownson at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Dec 27 01:08:59 AEST 1988

In article <4484 at xenna.Encore.COM> bzs at Encore.COM (Barry Shein) writes:

>Yes, what you are missing is the slightest understanding of unix.......
>....mercy but instead I'll point out you have sunk this list to a new low.

I'm sorry I polluted your list, sinking it to a new low. I don't ever
recall claiming I had the 'slightest' (or at least, more than a rudimentary)
understanding of unix. I will someday, though.

>There's something wrong with the LOCAL set up of YOUR dired (which, by
>the way, is not even a standard unix utility) or the permissions on
>YOUR /etc or something like that, I don't know but your point was
>worthless. It's as if you were claiming unix is unreliable since your
>system stops working every time you pour a can of cola in the disk
>drive.

I don't quite see where the 'pour cola in the keyboard' analogy fits
into this. It would have been quite sufficient to say as you did in your
first sentence this paragraph: 'There's something wrong with the local
set up of your dired, or the permissions on /etc'

>I have nothing against someone asking a question, no matter how naive,
>but posing as someone offering insight into unix to a list who's name
>is unix-wizards and posting this kind of misleading, ignorant tripe is
>utterly irresponsible. Didn't it ever occur to you that you don't know
>what you are talking about? I don't think a little "correct me if I'm
>wrong" is enough to excuse this kind of garbage.
>
>	-Barry Shein

I'm sorry you felt the question was 'misleading, ignorant tripe which is
utterly irresponsible'.....and 'garbage'. Actually, Mr. Shein, I had very high
hopes for this news.group. I thought here, surely, I would receive a detailed
and technically correct answer to my query. I expected it to be the one place
I might receive the requisite knowledge of unix required to maximize my use
of these machines. Surely the idle.chatter groups are of no help.

I suppose that is correct; but not at the price you are asking me to pay
for the instruction, Mr. Shein. Have a happy new year, and I will do the same.

Patrick Townson