System Security

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue Dec 13 04:45:07 AEST 1988

In article <375 at stca77.stc.oz> peter at stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) writes:
>... suggested running a daemon that checked
>for trivial passwords, and mailing the user and sysadm when one was found.
>
>This sounded like a good idea, until I thought it through.  The core of
>such a daemon is a password _cracker_.  Whilst the daemon itself should
>be innocuous (subject to bugs :-), the source would make an excellent
>basis for a worm.

This is a general problem with many kinds of security checking and security
logging:  the programs and their output are potentially valuable to crackers.
At the very least, even if your regular sources are generally available to
your users, the sources for these programs shouldn't be.  Output preferably
should be offline entirely (e.g. on a printer in a secure area), and failing
that should at least be protected.  (This isn't necessarily sufficient,
though, even if the protection system is uncompromised.  For example, if
you run a password prober regularly, and have it send mail to folks whose
passwords it finds, the modification dates on mailboxes point to accounts
with weak passwords.)

>... Or is such a program such a trivial exercise that it is not
>worth protecting?

Any competent bad guy can write his own.  However, the general principle
to follow is "never waste an opportunity to make things harder for the
opposition".  It's always possible that your program is better or smarter
than the one he would write.  You should make some effort to protect yours,
although heroic measures probably aren't justified.
--
SunOSish, adj:  requiring      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
32-bit bug numbers.            | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu