password security

99700000 haynes at ucscc.UCSC.EDU
Fri Dec 23 15:01:34 AEST 1988

In article <5005 at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>The simple solution seems to be to force users to use some non alpha
>character somewhere in the middle of their passwords.  Users then tend
>to use a combination of two words which prevents the dictionary search.

the 4.3-tahoe-BSD version of passwd seems to do this.  At least the last
time I logged into a tahoe system and tried to change my password it
wouldn't rest until I had put a non-alphabetic character into it.
Had the same experience on a Convex machine.

haynes at ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes at ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle