Echo

Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge merlyn at intelob.biin.com
Wed Dec 14 05:07:58 AEST 1988

In article <960 at etnibsd.UUCP>, vsh at etnibsd (Steve Harris) writes:
| The problem is, what if I want /usr/ucb before /usr/5bin in my PATH,
| but also want my echo to recoginze sysV escapes?  I have to do, e.g.:
|
| OPATH=$PATH
| $PATH=/usr/5bin:$PATH
| echo "\tthis is a test\n"
| PATH=$OPATH

Will it not work to do ...

PATH=/usr/5bin:$PATH echo "\tthis is a test\n"

... since PATH will be different for the execution of only the "echo"
command?  Also, your second line *expands* PATH, and doesn't set it.
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Information Services (for now :-),