Echo

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Dec 10 09:30:15 AEST 1988

In article <949 at riddle.UUCP> domo at riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
>    In release 4.0, the echo command has been enhanced to support both the
>    SunOS and UNIX System V version of the command.  echo automatically
>    selects between the two definitions according to the value of the PATH
>    variable.  The UNIX System V definition is the default definition.
>    However, if the PATH contains the entry /usr/ucb, and that entry comes
>    before /usr/bin, then the SunOS version of echo is selected.

What a botch this is!  Nobody I know of puts /usr/ucb before /usr/bin
even on native BSD systems.  I wouldn't risk that in shell scripts,
either, so in effect they have added a mechanism that will be of no
practical use.  And, there is STILL no way to disable \-escape mapping
in the System V environment.