how to order a V3.2 driver design manual

Paul Hite paul at prcrs.UUCP
Wed Dec 28 11:23:44 AEST 1988

In article <363 at siswat.UUCP>, buck at siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
> A while ago, Dimitri Rotow of Bell Technologies posted the following:
>
> ]To order AT&T documents, call their Customer Information Center at
> ]800-432-6600.  They take VISA and are very responsive.
> ]
> ]
> ]UNIX System V/386 Release 3, Block and Character Interface, Device Driver
> ]Reference Manual, Select Code 307-192.

Hmmm... I own a Select Code 307-192 but mine is called "UNIX System V,
Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI) Driver Reference Manual".
It is basicly manual pages for kernal routines and kernal data structures.
It's a large book -- 8.5 by 11 inch pages with several hundred pages.

It has a companion volume which you didn't mention.  The companion is
"UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI) Driver
Development Guide".  This tome is twice the size of its companion.
Select Code 307-191.  Chapters:
	1 About this Document
	2 Intro to UNIX Device Drivers
	3 Drivers in the UNIX Operating System
	4 Header Files and Data Structures
	5 System and Driver Initialization
	6 Input/Output Operations
	7 Drivers in the TTY Subsystem
	8 Input/Output Control (ioctl)
	9 Synchronizing Hardware and Software Events
	10 Interrupt Routines
	11 Error Reporting
	12 Installation
	13 Testing and Debugging the Driver
	14 Performance Considerations
	15 Porting the Driver
	16 Packaging the Driver
	Appendix A Equipped Device Table (EDT)
	Appendix B Writing 3B2 Computer Diagnostics Files
	Appendix C Sample Character Driver
	Appendix D Sample Block Driver
	Glossary

Neither book is specific to the 386.  Both are specific to the 3B line from
ATT.  Quoting without permission from 307-192:

	...Although most of the information in this book is applicable to
	any UNIX System V computer, the manual contains examples and
	information specifically for the following computers and
	releases:
		* WE 321 Single-Board-Computer, UNIX System V/VME Release 3.1
		* AT&T 3B2/300 Computer, UNIX System V Release 3.1
		etc.

No mention of 386.  Still, I strongly recommend both volumes.

> ]
> ]Even though this is targeted at UNIX 3.2,
In my books, it's 3.1 and 3.1.1 actually.

> ]UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 Integrated Software Development Guide (ISDG)
> Does the Integrated Software Design Guide exist

It's not in my catalog. But I do have an old catalog.  No 3.2 stuff.

> Thanks alot,
> A. Lester Buck		...!uhnix1!moray!siswat!buck

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
                      DOS is a four letter word!