Latest indent request

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Mon Dec 5 16:21:54 AEST 1988

In article <9063 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <1748 at solo3.cs.vu.nl> maart at cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>>gaspar at almsa-1.arpa (Al Gaspar) writes:
>>\	if (test)
>>\		{
>>\		whatever;
>>\		}
>>What a DISGUSTING format!
>
>Most programmers I know that have tried vertical alignment of braces
>for a while have come to prefer that to the style in K&R.

I have to agree with Maarten Litmaath.  I suggest that people who care
about layout in their programs should read

	Professional Software
	Volume II Programming Practice
	Henry Ledguard with John Tauer
	Addison-Wesley 1987

The use of braces in C is discussed on pages 111 and 117.  I use the "comb"
style of layout (Ledgard's preference) because it makes sense in all the
languages I use.

Ledgard is no more God than Henry Spencer, but I need a good reason to
disagree with either of them.