8mm backups for SUN systems

Kerry Duke DUKE%MECVX8 at draper.com
Fri Dec 16 05:21:55 AEST 1988

I am new to the `unix wizard' list so I do not know whether this subject
has been addressed here before or if it is new; however I need some help so
let me explain.

I have been helping another group within our company set up a small network of
SUN4 systems.  One piece of equipment I think they need is a 8mm Exabyte
helical scan tape backup system.  I have looked around now, and am confused over
my choices.  There seems to be two camps; 1) the system integrators (or those
who just sell the Exabyte drive, cables, and/or controller); and 2) the
system manufactures (or those who sell the Exabyte drive, plus their own
software).

Can anyone tell me:

	1. Whether it is a better decision to go with the system integrators
	   and relay on the SUN provided -- standard (but not supported)
	   software or go with the system manufactures and hope they maintain
	   revisions that stay in step with the SUNOS?  There is also the
	   question of software compatibility from revision to revision.

	2. What questions show I be asking the manufactures or integrators?

	3. What kind of experience have you had with these sort of systems and
	   why did you purchase the sort of system you did?

Kerry Duke
Staff Engineer
C. S. Draper Laboratories