IEEE 1003.2

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Dec 12 10:16:52 AEST 1988

In article <33251 at think.UUCP> barmar at think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
>... the point is not whether "ar" CAN be usable with non-object module
>files, but whether it MUST be usable with them.  Sounds like they are
>requiring "ar" to be enough to create object libraries, not a
>general-purpose archiving utility.

For that matter, why do we need object archives in the first place?
They are just a hack to save space (and perhaps, but not necessarily,
time).  How about /lib/libc/*.o?

(About 1/2 :-) ---the file system is *supposed* to be clean enough and
fast enough to support this sort of thing; why *are* we working against
it?)