UNIX (actually ASCII) to FAX ?

a.v.reed avr at mtgzz.att.com
Tue Dec 13 01:15:11 AEST 1988

In article <318 at rna.UUCP>, dan at rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
> Basically, you should be able to type in a FAX memo or doc on your UNIX
> terminal (or SUN workstation) and send it off like Internet/USENET mail.

This service is available from AT&T Mail (just like sending to any other
kind of mail endpoint: PC packages, TELEX, paper via US mail or
messenger, voice (telephone) delivery etc. etc.). You register your
UNIX(R) gateway machine with AT&T Mail (1-800-MAIL672) and enter the
AT&T Mail gateway in your uucp tables as "attmail". This is a commercial
service, and the 1-800-MAIL672 number will also tell you their current
prices. Once your gateway is known to attmail, you will be able to send
UNIX mail to attmail for any kind of delivery. For example, I use the
following script/function to send a letter formatted with -mm via FAX:

		NUMBER=$1;ATTENTION=$2;shift;shift
		(echo "To: attmail!fax!$NUMBER(/$ATTENTION)";\
			nroff -mm -rL60 -rW65 $@ | col -bx)|\
			/bin/mail attmail!dispatcher

where $1 is the destination FAX number (in international format, such
as 1-201-957-5159, since AT&T Mail will deliver anywhere in the world)
and $2 is a string describing, to the destination's FAX operator, the
recipient of your letter - for example, "Adam_V._Reed,_Room_3F-441".

			Adam Reed (avr at mtgzz.ATT.COM)