libraries

The Beach Bum jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Mon Dec 26 02:14:59 AEST 1988

In article <4468 at xenna.Encore.COM> bzs at Encore.COM (Barry Shein) writes:
>It seems to me the whole point is that I can create a file __.SYMDEF
>in my object directory and have ld exploit it if it's there, at which
>point almost all the complaints become moot.

Not quite the complete solution.  You would need a name cache [ thanks
Chris for pointing out how wonderful these are ... ] to reduce the
file name lookup overhead.  Large directories are VERY inefficient to
access.  Frequent lookups in large directories even more so.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  |"Unix doesn't have bugs,