libraries

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Fri Dec 30 03:25:54 AEST 1988

As quoted from <1282 at nusdhub.UUCP> by rwhite at nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.):
+---------------
| in article <15126 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) says:
| >
| > In article <1278 at nusdhub.UUCP> rwhite at nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.)
| > writes:
| >>Wrong-O kid!  An archive library is a "File which contains the
| >>original contents of zero-or-more external sources, usually text or
| >>object files, which have been reduced to a single system object."
| >
| > This is an implementation detail.
|
| Where do you get this "implementation has nothing to do with it" bull?
+---------------

It comes from the fact that when I want to link an object with a library, I
don't care if it's an "ar" archive, "cpio" archive (and btw, your "ar doesn't
preserve file-ness because it archives the contents" argument falls flat on
its silly face when applied to tar or cpio), directory, or little glass
beads.  As long as it works reasonably quickly (and THIS is an implementation
detail; namei CAN be speeded up) I don't care about the implementation.

You're missing the forest for the trees.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
comp.sources.misc is moving off ncoast -- please do NOT send submissions direct
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>.