/etc/failures

Steven M. Bellovin smb at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Mon Dec 5 01:33:36 AEST 1988

In article <43200055 at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> 1)  If a login of a single account name at a single terminal fails 3 times in
> a row within a short period of time, that account is temporarily disallowed
> from logging in on that terminal.

> 2)  If a login of a single account at multiple terminals fails 3 times in a
> row, the account is temporarily disallowed from logging in at any terminal.

> 3)  If logins of any accounts at a single terminal fails 6 times in a row,
> that terminal is temporarily disabled.

What's a ``terminal'' to be disabled?  I'm serious.  What you suggest
may or may not have merit in an environment where most access is via
hard-wired lines these days, however, the real threats are via networks
or dial-up connections.  Even in a campus environment, many (most?)
folks are using some sort of port selector, front-end switch, Ethernet
TAC, etc.  It's rare that any physical port can be associated with a
login attempt.