f'netick language

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Thu Dec 1 17:10:55 AEST 1988

In article <17669 at adm.BRL.MIL> rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>[I wrote:]
>? This is one reason why
>? correct spelling is good manners:  spell-as-you-speak-and-mumble doesn't
>? work too well when the person at the other end doesn't know your dialect.
>
>Uh, oh, don't left this guy drive. He can't hack `No Thru Street'.
[and other ``insightful'' remarks]

I have replied to "Root Boy Jim" by E-mail.  My experience when studying in
Britain was that there really is a problem:  people speaking "English" as
they had heard it all their lives before would not be able to understand
each other, though there would be other people who could understand both.
(BTW: where I come from, "No Thru Street" is spelled "No Exit".)  TTFN.