using System V 'cu'

a.v.reed avr at mtgzz.att.com
Tue Dec 6 08:42:35 AEST 1988

In article <575 at auspex.UUCP>, guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
< >(avr) The code for ~+ is #ifdef'ed in the HDB cu source. If you have
< > HDB source, just remake cu with the appropriate -D option.
<
< Unfortunately, many (quite possibly "most") people with HDB binaries do
< not have HDB source....
<
< The "#ifdef" symbol is "forfutureuse".  Eventually, "future" becomes
< "present"; what is the event being waited for here?  Is there something
< about it that doesn't work, or is somebody just chicken**** about
< enabling it?

No, there's nothing about it that doesn't work. It has been in use for 6
years now by people who have known about it, and has worked fine for all
of them - not a single MR on it to date. As for what is holding back the
people who decide about externally distributed UNIX(R), I can only
guess, since I'm not one of them. My guess is that it is a standards
issue: they're waiting for code merger with SUN/BSD, and the analogous
option in "tip" is called something else. But then, I only work here....

					Adam Reed (avr at mtgzz.ATT.COM)