Help with uda errors

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Dec 21 13:23:45 AEST 1988

In article <17846 at adm.BRL.MIL> Hampton at dockmaster.arpa (David R. Hampton)
writes:
>I am running BSD 4.2 on a VAX 11/785, using the University of Maryland
>uda driver.  The modification time on my driver is 19 December 1985.

You have an ancient edition (but then, you have 4.2BSD...).  It probably
mostly works.  I have nothing decent for 4.2BSD though.

>uda0: soft error, disk transfer error, unit 1, grp 0x0, hdr 0x3f038,
>      event 0313

The important number is the `event'.  0313 translates to `lost receiver
ready drive error'.  `hdr 0x3f038' here says that the drive was working
on block 258104---probably irrelevant in this case.  The receiver probably
refers to the UART receiver for the serial cable between the controller
and the drive.  (This is a WAG.)

>uda0: soft error, SDI error, unit 1, event 0353, hdr 0x0
>uda0: hard error, disk transfer error, unit 1, grp 0x0, hdr 0x4cce8,
>      event 0313

I have never figured out what makes an error an `SDI error', but 0353
is `drive detected error drive error'---not very informative, other than
that the drive's error checking code thinks something is wrong.  Here
you got one lost-receiver-ready, so it retried and got a drive-detected-
error, and gave up.

>P.S.  DEC was just here yesterday for our monthly maintenance visit.  I
>had not seen any errors before then.  Could they have changed something
>that would cause this?

Check the cables.  One is probably loose, or bent.