questions about File System Switch

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Dec 14 17:21:50 AEST 1988

In article <352 at siswat.UUCP> buck at siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
>Is FSS fully documented in some AT&T manual?

I think you have to look in the source code if you want to
develop your own filesystem type.  (I'll be happy if I'm
wrong about that.)

>What release of System V introduced FSS?

Release 3.0

>Is it always there, or is it a vendor option that can be
>left out?  (I only have S5R2 experience.)

I don't think vendors HAVE to include it under SVR3 licensing
provisions, but it would be pretty foolish to deliberately
remove it.

>Is adding a new filesystem on the same level as adding a
>device driver to the kernel?

Pretty much.

>For example, can a binary site use some type of link kit to
>add filesystem routines without source code?

I think it would be possible to support this, but I don't
know whether vendors will.

>I was wondering about adding a CD-ROM filesystem, which has an
>ISO or High Sierra standard format and a 2K physical blocksize.

That's actually a good idea.  Note that Apple did this in their
GS/OS, which has the moral equivalent of FSS.