Trojan horse FIX for Rnmail and Pnews

Gordon Burditt gordon at sneaky.TANDY.COM
Wed Dec 7 16:07:20 AEST 1988

>Here are the context diffs to fix Rnmail and Pnews.
>Larry Wall, do you copy?

[Condensed down guts of patch follow:]

< 	${VISUAL-${EDITOR-$defeditor}} $tmpart $oldart
> 	${VISUAL-${EDITOR-$defeditor}} '+set nomodeline' $tmpart $oldart

Isn't this fix more than a little vi-specific?  If EVERYONE at your site
uses vi, fine, but I think it breaks attempts to use any editor other
than vi.  /bin/ed merrily edits the file '+set nomodeline'.  Then Pnews
or Rnmail work with the unmodified file.  Emacs will probably do something
strange with it also.  Further, not all versions of vi even have a
"nomodeline" option.

				Gordon L. Burditt
				...!texbell!sneaky!gordon