/dev/tty problem (repost)

Bruce Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Sat Dec 17 19:47:41 AEST 1988

In article <373 at hrc.UUCP> dan at hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel VP) writes:

>Is there another dev/* that I can use to open the terminal io using rn?
>The error I receive is as follows:
>	Can't open /dev/tty
>	No such device or address
>Specifics:
>	Convergent Tech S/640 running the CTAM 2.00 windowing software

	There is a similar problem in the windowing software for the
	AT&T 3B1 version of CTIX. In that system the problem occurs
	when "/dev/tty" is the internal modem; certain open flags
	determine the state of the opened device (whether data or
	voice use of the phone line in that case). Look in the terminal
	i/o section of the 'rn' source - I don't have it online at the
	moment, but I seem to recall "term" or something as the routine
	in question, in which "/dev/tty" is opened to a new file
	descriptor.  Check to see that 'O_RDONLY' mode doesn't have
	some special meaning for window systems which would be averted
	using 'O_RDWR' or similar.
	Perhaps this isn't the problem, but if it is, it takes some
	detective work (not mine in the 3B1 case) to find out.
	Good luck, in any case - 'rn' is a valuble resource...

>Rn will work fine from a standard shell, but under the windowing application,
>it gives me that above error.
>--
>Dan Troxel VP of Computer Operations @
>Handwriting Research Corporation - 2821 E. Camelback Road Suite 600
>Phoenix, AZ  85016       WK 1-602-957-8870        HM 1-602-435-1240
>UUCP : asuvax!hrc!dan

Cheers,
--
Bruce Becker        Toronto, Ont.