sexist language

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Thu Dec 1 03:29:59 AEST 1988

I wrote:
? >In return we give up fonetik pronunciation, but I would argue for doing
? >violence in that arena to rid the language some of the more rediculous
? >spellings.

? Sorry, e hoa, can't do her.  Written English is very nearly in the place
? of written Chinese:  a notation shared by people whose _spoken_ languages
? are not mutually comprehensible.  YOUR phonetic spelling is MY unsolvable
? puzzle.  (For an English-speaker, trying to learn the IPA from an
? American textbook is harder than you might think.)  This is one reason why
? correct spelling is good manners:  spell-as-you-speak-and-mumble doesn't
? work too well when the person at the other end doesn't know your dialect.

Uh, oh, don't left this guy drive. He can't hack `No Thru Street'. And I
suppose he doesn't understand what a `Lite Beer' is, can't figure out
what `Kwick Kleeners' does, and owns no <verb>-a-<noun> devices. :-)

Often a company will alter the spelling to create a trademark.

And written English does not unite the language as written Chinese does.

In the meantime, decode the following: nite, tho, enuf, grafix, alfa.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	(301) 975-5688
	<rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov> or <rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	Crackers and Worms -- Breakfast of Champions!