libraries

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Dec 21 10:09:11 AEST 1988

In article <15080 at mimsy.UUCP> I wrote:
>[a directory is] `a file containing other files' ...

I guess I should answer the nit: Yes, it contains names and pointers to
files, rather than their contents.  I lumped this under `implementation
differences', although it is in fact a generalisation.

Now that everyone has had time to disagree with what they think I said:

>... I claim that the [added] open and close calls ... *should* not be
>so expensive.  I also find it very likely that those who claim it is
>too expensive have not tested it.

I suppose I should relent.  In fact, I too think it would be too
expensive (though `too expensive' is rather a matter of opinion).
But I have not tested it, and I will not say that it *is* so without
seeing some comparisons.