The Internet Virus--Another issue

Rob McMahon cudcv at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Dec 11 07:45:00 AEST 1988

In article <6624 at csli.STANFORD.EDU> wagenr at arisia.xerox.com (Juergen Wagner) writes:
>And if you're installing fingerd as setuid/setgid to nobody/nobody, you're
>pretty safe with these two guys, I think.

If you're using NFS where some remote accesses get done as nobody, I should
think hard about this, since your setuid program could be replaced by
anything, which will probably get run as root.  You should be okay if you
trust root on all the systems you export the filesystem to, but the idea of
nobody is that it has no privileges, and this seems to be breaking that idea.
If you've got an inetd.conf that takes a user to run the daemon as, I would
also be careful about using users with -ve uids, someone said this can cause
the daemon to get run as root when e.g. setuid(-2) fails (setuid expecting a
0 <= number < 2^16).

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv at uk.ac.warwick             ARPA:   cudcv at warwick.ac.uk
Rob McMahon, Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England