Patch for disappearing inodes

Pete Alleman pja at ralph.UUCP
Mon Dec 5 06:11:22 AEST 1988

I've been bit by the disappearing inode bug in System V one too many times.
Since I have only a binary license, I fixed the problem by patching
the offending object file (alloc.o).

The fix was simply to have the search for more inodes always start with
inode 1 instead of whatever inode was first in the free list.  I realize
that I will pay a performance penalty (slow is better than stopped), but
how much?

My own experiences lead me to believe that the inode list is refilled
infrequently, so I would expect that a few extra seconds spent searching
for inodes would have little impact on system performance. Right?

--
Pete Alleman
	ralph!pja or