Trojan horses in mail text

Dave Dave
Thu Dec 15 14:37:26 AEST 1988

jbn at glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) wrote:
>	Mail that makes "vi" do interesting things.
>	Mail that makes "emacs" do interesting things.
>	Mail that makes Display Postscript do interesting things.
>	Mail that makes "intelligent agents" do interesting things.
>	Mail that makes fax machines do interesting things.

And while we're at it, how about mail that makes sunt(f|t)ools do
interesting things?  I can really make people wonder with a
few imbedded escape sequences ... and if I'm logged into their
machine while they run suntools on console, they're sanity
can just about go bye bye. (This all assumes that I would do such
a thing, which I wouldn't (anymore).)

It also teaches another valuable lesson ... even a terribly
simple utility like _c_a_t(1) can be used for ulterior
motives.

Dave
      tale at rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts at rpitsgw.rpi.edu, tale at pawl.rpi.edu