Yet Another useful paper

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Dec 22 05:37:52 AEST 1988

In article <110 at microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp at microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
>My objection to shadow password files is that the layer of security they
>provide relies on the unreadability of the file by non-root people.
>Unix is not particularly secure this way...

This does somewhat depend on how alert the sysadmin is.  However, I think
you're missing a point:  shadow password files do add one more layer of
complication for would-be crackers.  There is no such thing as perfect
security, just ways of making life harder for the bad guys.
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu