cat -u

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Dec 13 08:20:21 AEST 1988

In article <9138 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <146 at minya.UUCP> jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
> >What ever happened to the original Unix Philosophy of lots of little
> >programs...

> In a Macintosh-like environment, the situation is radically different,
> because there is no good way to combine independent processes into a
> larger unit.

> Of course, one useful integrated
> application would be a UNIXy shell with pipes and a bunch of basic
> UNIXy utilities.  So much for the icon interface.

For about the 50th time in the past 5 years or so I would like to
suggest that someone with a windowing UNIX box consider the possibility
of an icon-based pipeline builder.

You could even build structures that can't be expressed in sh!

	/-----\
	\-----/

	/-----\
	| PGM | - - [ -options ... ]
	\-----/

	/-----\
	| TEE |
	\-----/
	/     \
       /       \
   /-----\   /-----\
   |SORT |   | PGM | - - [ -more_options ... ]
   \-----/   \-----/
         \   /
          \ /
	/-----\
	|MERGE| - - [ -whatever ]
	\-----/

	+-----+
	|FILE |
	+-----+
--
Peter da Silva     `-_-'     Ferranti International Controls Corporation
   "Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"        uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter
Disclaimer: I accept full responsibility for my typos. peter at ficc.uu.net