Ghost file

DEGRAAF dad at whuts.ATT.COM
Mon Dec 5 12:21:16 AEST 1988

>The file I created was shown by ls -l as "-rw-r----    ?",

In UNIX Sys V  the command ls -b will reveal non-graphic characters
that have become part of a filename by printing them in \ddd
octal notation.  This has saved me much aggravation in similar
situations.  I always use the -b option.

Sometimes the find command can be used to remove or modify
files that are otherwise recalcitrant.  If you can manage to
cause find to select the specific file, either using metacharacters
in the name or other selectors, then -exec rm {} \;  will do the
trick.

	Dave De Graaf, pancho!dad