My guide to fascist syslogging (or how I caught the internet worm)

Lawrence V. Cipriani lvc at cbnews.ATT.COM
Fri Dec 2 23:36:04 AEST 1988

In article <1988Nov30.170027.15960 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>But be careful that your logs are secure.  It is a verifiable fact that
>people sometimes type passwords instead of login names, due to slow response
>or confusion or etc.

Good point.  In the login logging I wrote the login name is recorded only if
it is a legal login name, other wise "unknown" is recorded.  This is done for
precisely the reason you gave.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,