IEEE 1003.2

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Mon Dec 26 09:29:06 AEST 1988

As quoted from <1269 at nusdhub.UUCP> by rwhite at nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.):
+---------------
| in article <14946 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) says:
| > For that matter, why do we need object archives in the first place?
| > They are just a hack to save space (and perhaps, but not necessarily,
| > time).  How about /lib/libc/*.o?
|
| Wrong! cammel breath ;-)
|
| The *proper* use of object libraries is to *organize* your objects into
| a usefull search order.  How many times would you have to scan the contents
| of /usr/lib/*.o to load one relatively complex c program (say vn).
+---------------

Why can't there be /lib/libc/__.SYMDEF?  It could even keep the same format
as it has now.  After all, it's just stored as another file in the archive.
(So is the System V archive symbol table, although that would have to be
given a real name to work in this case.)

Let's not insult unix.gurus without thinking, shall we?

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
comp.sources.misc is moving off ncoast -- please do NOT send submissions direct
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>.